An exquisite Antique Georgian cluster ring from the mid 18th Century featuring a large oval face with a black enamel frame and a Silver centre encrusted with sparkling Rose cut Diamonds (approx. 4ct total) and a pale green Aquamarine weighing approx. 1.60ct.
The gallery is all 18ct Gold with engraved shoulders and a closed back with the inscription: “Mary Antrobus, 06. 29 Sept – 1791 - at: 71”.
The ring belonged to the Antrobus family who descended from a medieval Cheshire gentry family based at Antrobus Hall in Great Budworth. Mary was the wife of John Antrobus and lived in Congleton (Cheshire) in the mid-1700s. John passed away in 1788 and Mary died later, aged 71 and was buried at Astley alongside her husband on the 11th of February, 1791.
The ring looks to have been commissioned for Mary from an old Sepia ring with Diamonds and an Aqua added to the front. The ring was most likely inscribed after her death and was kept within the family for many years.
This is an extraordinary antique find with a lovely family history attached. It was clearly a cherished piece and has been kept in pristine condition.
We recommend you insure for £7,000. We can provide a written Valuation on completion of the sale.
WEIGHT: 9.8 grams
MEASURES: Size P ½ (UK), 8 (US) - Can be sized, we offer this service for free, it takes approx. 1-2 weeks to complete.
FACE MEASURES: Height 31mm x Width 17.5mm x Depth 5mm
METAL: 18ct Gold/ Silver (Tested)
STONES: Diamonds (approx. 4ct total), Aquamarine (7mm x 7mm - approx. 1.60ct)
AGE: Georgian. (Circa 1760 – 1790)
ITEM NUMBER: AJ470